Coffee has always been an indispensable part of the office environment. Generations of office workers have started their day — and kept energized until quitting time — with endless cups of joe.
How much productivity would have been lost without its perky boost? Only the bean counters know for sure.
While many people still enjoy their traditional hot coffee or tea, there’s a new trend in town that’s taking the workplace by storm: the “cold-brew craze.” Many coffee aficionados are abandoning their old love to embrace this new and flavorful way to enjoy their favorite drink.
Learn what cold brew is, how it’s different from the traditional hot brewing process or iced coffee, and why every office needs a cold brew machine.
Cold Brew 101
The biggest difference between the main types of coffee — hot, iced and cold brew — is the process by which they are made.
Fast Extraction Process
- Hot coffee uses high-temperature water poured directly over ground coffee beans to quickly extract the compounds that give it its flavor, color, texture and caffeine content.
- Iced coffee is simply hot-brewed coffee (usually brewed at double strength) poured over ice, usually after being chilled in a cooler to keep the ice from melting and diluting the coffee.
Slow Extraction Process
- Cold brew coffee uses a slow extraction process. The coffee grounds are steeped in cold water for up to 24 hours. This process uses a coarser bean grind to prevent making the coffee bitter.
- The extraction of the flavor compounds takes longer but it is also more thorough, allowing the water to seep deep inside the beans to discover the hidden flavors and aromas that are left untouched with quick-brew processes.
- This slow extraction gives cold-brew coffee its distinctive smooth, mellow taste with sweet and chocolatey notes. Incidentally, it also has a higher caffeine content which, along with the flavor, may be part of the reason so many office workers are choosing it over traditional coffee.
Cold Brew Coffee & Tea For Boston-Area Offices
We also just added a new line-up of Wandering Bear cold brew in Ready-to-Drink (RTD) boxes that are recyclable. This organic, sugar-free and dairy-free cold brew serves up a smooth yet strong brew with big energy – two espressos per cup! It comes in six delicious flavors: vanilla, mocha, hazelnut, caramel, decaf and straight black.
If your employees have caught the cold brew craze, a cold brew machine or RTD box in your office is a must. For certain size offices, we will provide a demo with a kegerator and a keg of cold brew so the whole office gets a chance to try the coffee. Contact BostonbeaN today to schedule your hot or cold brew coffee demo today.