Unmasking the Brew: Debunking Common Coffee Myths

You may think you know your coffee, but can you discern fact from fiction? Coffee has been around for such a long time and has become such an integral part of everyday life that many myths abound. Let’s take a look at a few of the most common misconceptions about coffee, from its supposed detrimental health effects to the caffeine content of gourmet vs regular coffee. Prepare to have your illusions shattered as we uncover the truth behind the beans.

5 Popular Coffee Myths Debunked

1. Decaf Coffee Is Caffeine-Free

Well, not exactly. The standard for labeling coffee as decaffeinated is that 97% of the caffeine has to be removed, so that leaves 1-3%, or about 7 mg of caffeine in an 8-ounce cup. Not a lot, but enough to notice if you’re sensitive to it.

2. Coffee Helps You Sober Up

This is one myth that can have deadly consequences. Caffeine will make you more alert, but it doesn’t do anything to alter the alcohol content in your bloodstream, and even though you might feel more awake, you’re still impaired. The same is true for a cold shower. Time is the only way to get sober.

3. Coffee Stunts Your Growth

How many of us heard this when we were kids? Truth is, science has found no evidence that coffee can affect growth. This myth has been traced back to a 1920s ad campaign that went viral. However, kids have less tolerance to caffeine than adults, and consuming it could cause anxiety, irritability, and sleep problems, so it’s probably best for them to abstain.

4. Coffee Dehydrates You

This one probably got started because coffee gives many people the urge to go to the bathroom. Actually, whether you’re drinking coffee or tea, your beverage is almost entirely made up of water, so it contributes to healthy daily hydration, bathroom trips aside.

5. Espresso Has More Caffeine vs. Drip Coffee

Espresso is made from the same beans as regular coffee, it’s just more concentrated. So you’re getting the same amount of caffeine in a small shot as you would a bigger cup, it’s just a matter of volume. Now if you drank a mug of espresso, you’d be getting a lot more.

Contact BostonbeaN Coffee Company for more fun facts about coffee or to order our custom coffee, tea, and pantry services for your Boston area workplace.